Monday, June 30, 2008

A Job Complex

Recently a friend of mine has been going through hard times. He has stated that if anything could go wrong it will go wrong and has been going wrong in his life. He also stated that if you ever read the book of Job he is that guy! I've been through those times myself in the past and understand the frustration that grows through the times of trial.

It seems those times have come upon me and my family once again. I don't view this as a negative thing but an awesome chance to rely on on God fully! We should do this anyway but we often get caught up in ourselves and tend to over look God. Every so often we go through times of trouble, some more then others. In those times we should give all of our trust to God and rely on him alone to pull us through.

Today is the start of a new trial for my family and I. While brushing my teeth today I leaned over to spit and my hip went out. I wasn't lifting or doing and type of excessive activity. I just leaned over and BAMB instant pain! I don't know if you know that kind of pain, but it takes your breath away and you can't seem to straighten your self to an upright standing position. Meanwhile while I was struggling to get to a point where I could walk again.

My wife was on the phone with her mother. My wife works from home for her mother and does book keeping among other things for her moms store. While on the phone she learned that she would be jobless in a couple of months. Meaning our second source of income is about to stop. Me in pain and my wife in the midst of worrying about finances was the start of our day.

I also had a consultation with an oral surgeon today. It cost $70 just to meet the doctor for 15 minutes! In that 15 minute time period, I was told in the 14 years of their profession they have never seen anything like what was occurring in my mouth. I have two compound molars that are an oddity to the medical field. Which in turn means it is going to cost much more and may include drastic complications. Such as nerve damage, fracture of the jaw!

So that was the best $70 dollars I've ever spent! However my faith in God doesn't let these things get to me. I could take all of the above and worry until I get ulcers. Instead this is what I got out of the day. In the waiting room at the orthodontist there was a bible. I decided to read it and opened it up to the book of Romans. Here is what really popped out at me, being this is what was on my mind throughout the whole day.

ROMANS CHAPTER 5

Faith Brings Joy

1 Therefore, since we have been made right in God’s sight by faith, we have peace with God because of what Jesus Christ our Lord has done for us. 2 Because of our faith, Christ has brought us into this place of highest privilege where we now stand, and we confidently and joyfully look forward to sharing God’s glory.3 We can rejoice, too, when we run into problems and trials, for we know that they are good for us—they help us learn to endure. 4 And endurance develops strength of character in us, and character strengthens our confident expectation of salvation. 5 And this expectation will not disappoint us. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love.

So needless to say.....

These times of trial build not only our faith in God, but also our Character which in turn gives us integrity and wisdom. I am glad for the trials I now face because they seem huge! However I know they are but a spec in the scheme of things. I know God will come through and things will be OK. I found comfort that there was a bible there in that waiting room. Later on in the day I had to get food for dinner. Hobbling around the store there were a few times I thought I might collapse in pain. I eventually made it to the register.

The cashier asked how my day was going. I gave her a brief description on my day as to not take up too much of her time. She looked at me and said, Don't worry God can do amazing things! and then she winked and smiled. I replied Ya know I've been thinking that all day long. I smiled back at her and was on my way home. I am praying this hip thing goes away over night, because I am back to work tomorrow. I can do the job but it is just going to hurt while doing it. I've done it before and can do it again.

I ask those of you who have faith in what God can do to pray for my family and I. Most of all pray for the way we handle our situations ahead. So that we may put fully our trust in the Lord and not be side track by worrying. I also ask that you pray that this makes us wiser and that what ever comes from this. That it be something that will ultimately give all glory to God and his love for all of us.

UPDATE:

My hip is feeling better. I am swollen and look lop sided but I managed to get through two very active work days. I am sore and want the pain to go away faster, but I know it will take time. Our car has been acting up it died two times today LOL!!! If that goes I don't know what we are going to do! I am keeping a positive outlook on things because our problems pail in comparison to so many others in the world. Thank you all for the prayers and the support. May God bless you all. My family and I just want to throw some love in your direction. We really do appreciate your prayers and concern.

The Harvey Family

6 comments:

Stacey said...

I'm trying hard NOT to stress and worry. It always works out one way or another.

Garren said...

We are here praying for you. Wow, thanks for opening up about this so we can help bear some of this load. We love you guys and let us know what we can do.

Homeless In the Flathead said...

Brother, great words, it's all in the palm of God's hand. I'm with you.

Todd said...

Thank you all for the support and prayers.

Stacey said...

I second what Todd said. Thank you for the support! Hugs to you all!

Jeana said...

I can't tell you how important it is to lean on others when you are in need. Dave and I have been under some stress lately (11 months of trying to sell our house with a HUGE mortgage) that we finally got an offer on this week. When I have told people it has finally sold I can't believe how many were praying and fasting for our family. It is such a huge blessing to let it go and give it over to our Heavenly Father. He will always give us what we need, even if we don't know it. You are a great example to your children for having such an abundance of faith. J