Tuesday, July 15, 2008

My Great Northern Experience

I took every thing I had to reach the summit, and everything I didn’t know I had to make it back to where we started!

Great Northern Mountain is an 8,705 ft. peak that sits in the Great Bear Wilderness. It neighbors the Northwest Montana side of Glacier National Park. You can see its massive rock face from miles around. Viewing it from the ground makes it seem that it would be impossible to reach its peak by foot. I reached the Peak of Great Northern Mountain yesterday with a group of friends. That was no easy task to reach such a high peak by foot.

The trail up is nothing but a vertical incline all the way up to the lower ridge of the mountain. They call it cardiac hill and for good reason. A few times going up the first part of the hike I thought I was spent. I had no inkling of an idea what was in store for me further on or I may have turned around and quit. I was not in the kind of shape I should have been in to attempt such a climb. As we reached the top of cardiac hill I realized where we were going for the first time. I was told we were hiking but not the exact location of where.

Reaching the top of cardiac hill I saw in great horror what lied before me. I was exhausted and had almost nothing left within me (Or so I thought at the time). We had a long steep graded ridge to navigate over covered in vegetation rocks and trees. The sun beat down on us from above as the breeze cooled down. To our left along the trail was a sheer cliff and one stumble you would be a goner. As we neared closer to the rocky ridge and out of the vegetation we saw two mountain goats above us.

I couldn’t believe that I was going to attempt to climb what was before me. All along the way it seemed I’d take a few steps and stop to rest. Then take a few more, and stop to rest. Many times I felt I couldn’t do it but I am stubborn and don’t give up so easy. As we made it to the rocky beginning of the climb the trail surface turned from dirt to shale. I knew that this could get deadly if one were to slip. It took hours to get where we were and we had hours to reach the peak. With oxygen deprivation each step seemed like ten instead of just one. I was sure I was finished.

No shade from the sun and gusting wind beating against your body also plays a role in your overall physical strength. After a while it starts to wear on you and seems to drain your energy. All you want to do is find a hole to hide in for a while. Being that there is no way of getting out of the Sun and wind. You are forced to make your way up the mountain to reach your goal. The view was a great way to keep you distracted from any physical discomfort.

Inching my way up and across loose shale on a sheer cliff face is unnerving especially when your legs feel like jello. As we climbed up towards the mountain goats they began to turn and go up the rocky ridge to avoid us. They eventually disappeared most likely on the cliff side on the opposite face of the mountain then we were on. It seemed like hours went by when we finally reached the technical part of the hike. We had to scale a couple of small rock walls to reach the summit. Making a wrong move at those points would have sent anyone sliding down a shale mountain face and over a cliff.

I somehow made it up and to the peak. The 360 view was amazing and well worth all it took to get there. While we were up there we noticed someone running the trail. In my mind that was suicidal and superhuman at the same time. He reached the summit broke out a video camera and stated it took him 1 hour and 40 minutes to run to the summit. He quickly put the camera in his pocket and dashed back down the mountain. I was amazed he made it up running! I could barely make it up crawling! He didn’t even enjoy the view or rest. He turned around dashed away and beat us all down. The only sign of him on the way back was a PowerAde bottle he left behind.

Once we decided to go back down the mountain it seemed easy. However it got harder and harder as we went. My legs burning and back and hip hurting all I wanted was to get home take a shower and sleep. I also couldn’t wait for level ground but that would have to wait until we made it down. To the ridge below us that leveled off somewhat. Once we made it there we worked up a ridge and then down a ridge, then up a ridge, and down a ridge. I thought I was going to die. The worst part of the hike by far was hiking down cardiac hill.

Blistered feet sore back and hip, and dehydration setting in made it all the worse. At this point I was staggering down the hill dizzy and having to rest every 20 feet. I felt I’d never make it down. I used all I had to make it up the mountain and I was exhausted past any point of exhaustion I have ever felt. I kept going inch by inch. Sitting whenever I felt I couldn’t go on. Knowing at the base of this steep massive hill waited water. I knew that I was in the thick of Grizzly country but I didn’t care. If one were to jump out of the bushes I had no energy to run. It would be a mercy killing on the bear’s part if I were to be mauled.

It seemed like hours went by like this. I kept inching my way down the hill. There came a point where I felt I had got on to another trail. The others were ahead out of visible site. So I was worried I was not on the right trail. I ran out of water a while back and was the thirstiest I have ever been. I’d go so far as to drink green water if I had to. Thinking I was lost I heard water and I didn’t care if I were on the wrong trail I was going to make it to the sound of the water then I’d figure out where I was. Still high on the steep hill I made my way down.

Then it seemed out of nowhere my buddy Garren appears out of the foliage with a bottle of water. He had made it back down. I know he was exhausted but he hiked back up the trail from hell just to bring me water. It has to be one of the most selfless acts anyone has ever done for me. Other then Christ dying on the Cross or my wife giving birth to three kids. I was deeply moved by his kindness. He stated I was almost there. What a relief that water was and the knowledge that the trail ended soon. We made it down shortly after.

All of us were exhausted and sore. It was an experience that I will never forget. Not only did it teach me much about myself but life and a spiritual walk with God. The road of life is much like the trail I hiked yesterday. There is a lot of struggle with great reward. You may feel all you have to give is gone, but if you have faith you’ll find you can endure more then you have ever imagined, and that the reward at the end is well worth all the pain.


The Peak

Here is a slide show from my myspace account



5 comments:

June said...

Wow that was truly awesome to read and the pictures were breathtaking!
I really enjoyed that, especially the end of it about how life is like that.. jeez that really encouraged me !!

Garren said...

Well Todd, I must admit there was a point where I wasn't sure if you would make it to the top. You just kept going though and I'm so glad you did. You rock. I'm glad I'm now right up there with Jesus and your wife...just because of a bottle of water! Wooo-hooo!

Todd said...

There was no way I was going to let you all down and cut the trip short. You guys were great support and I couldn't have done it with out you all.

Jill said...

In case Seth doesn't tell you he couldn't walk for like two days after the hike so I would say you did way better than him being that you are still walking... Course you should wait till the next hike not sure where you are all going but I have decided I am gonna come and get as many girls to come and beat as many of you guys as possible!!!!

Todd said...

The more the better! I think Stacey would be all for that!