Thursday, August 14, 2008

A Perfect Example

If you read my last post. I wrote about how there is a biblical message that we can learn through our experiences in life. The only way to get a full understanding to where we can apply it to our lives is to be reading the bible regularly. Today I was presented with a perfect example of that to which I put to use for my kids.

As I was going over notes that I took last night at Church I came across this passage in Romans.

Romans 12:17-21

17 Never pay back evil for evil to anyone. Do things in such a way that everyone can see you are honorable. 18 Do your part to live in peace with everyone, as much as possible.19 Dear friends, never avenge yourselves. Leave that to God. For it is written,“I will take vengeance;I will repay those who deserve it,”*says the Lord.20 Instead, do what the Scriptures say:“If your enemies are hungry, feed them.If they are thirsty, give them something to drink,and they will be ashamed of what they have done to you.”*21 Don’t let evil get the best of you, but conquer evil by doing good.

Just as I got done reading this my son ran into the house and complained of a neighbor who kicked my son in the knee and smack another child in the face. This child who did these things is not liked among the children of the neighborhood. He is always picking on other kids or hurting them in some way. So with the above passage from Romans in mind. I let the kids know that it is better to treat him with kindness then to throw insults or even punches back at him even if you feel he deserves it.

So tonight the kids and I are going to look into Romans 12 and do a study on it while what happened today is still fresh in their minds. This way they can grasp a better understanding on this biblical principal and apply it to their lives.

If I weren't reading the bible I would have missed out on how God would have me handle this situation. I might have told my sons to go beat the kid up. That of course would have been the wrong choice that could have lead to multiple negative out comes. In applying biblical principal to the situation the situation ends with a sore knee without a lawsuit or escalation of the situation. All I have left to say is....

Isn't God amazing?

No comments: