Thursday, August 21, 2008

My Birthday

One of the very last pictures of my mom.


I’m not too fond of my birthday as much as I used to be. I used to love the birthday cake and ice cream that sat surrounded by friends and family, when I was younger. This day was one I looked forward to and now it is a day that brings good memories as well as sadness. My birthday hasn’t ever been the same since my mother passed away. She made my birthday a very special event. Even more so then maybe most would. She lost her first two children shortly after giving birth to them. So having my siblings and I were a complete blessing to her. She cherished each and every one of us because she wasn’t medically speaking supposed to ever have us.

Spiritually speaking God gave her three children that meant the world to her. So birthdays were always a very special day of celebration in the Harvey family. I remember the last birthday I shared with my mother. She was in the ICU wavering between life and death. She was on a high dose of Chemotherapy for a minor case of cancer. The Chemo along with all the years of diabetes really did a number on her heart. Her white blood cell count was almost 0 meaning any type of bacteria or virus would kill her.

We had to wear breathing masks and gloves to visit with her. While lying in her hospital bed she stated that she felt bad she hadn’t planned my birthday and needed to do something for me. That was the hardest birthdays I’ve ever had. Little did I know that would be the last birthday I’d have with my mom alive. She had two kidney transplants and survived breast cancer, and let alone severe diabetes from the age of 5. She wasn’t supposed to live past child hood. We thought she was going to beat a not so serious case of skin cancer.

We were wrong and she passed away September 8th, 2002 that was little over two weeks past my birthday. So every year my birthday passes by with the memory of the passing of my mother. She once told me that if I have the faith of a mustard seed I can move mountains. She believed it because she lived in faith and moved many mountains. She was quoting the bible
Mathew 17:20
“You didn’t have enough faith,” Jesus told them. “I assure you, even if you had faith as small as a mustard seed you could say to this mountain, ‘Move from here to there,’ and it would move. Nothing would be impossible.”

I had no idea she was quoting the bible when I was younger. She quoted that often and even had a necklace she wore all the time that contained a mustard seed. Her grandmother quoted that verse and gave her the mustard seed necklace shortly after her first baby passed away. My mom moved many mountains in her life and her life is a testimony of what God can and will do in a believer’s life. Sure she wasn’t perfect but no one ever is. Not even David the king chosen by God to rule over Israel. Or any one of Jesus Christ apostles! Through our weakness comes strength from God.

Hebrews 11:32 – 35

32 Well, how much more do I need to say? It would take too long to recount the stories of the faith of Gideon, Barak, Samson, Jephthah, David, Samuel, and all the prophets. 33 By faith these people overthrew kingdoms, ruled with justice, and received what God had promised them. They shut the mouths of lions, 34 quenched the flames of fire, and escaped death by the edge of the sword. Their weakness was turned to strength. They became strong in battle and put whole armies to flight. 35 Women received their loved ones back again from death.

She is living proof that faith the size of a mustard seed can and will move any mountain in your way. Through your weakness Gods glory will be seen. Because of here weak health as a child she was not to live to become an adult or even have children. Through faith in God she was blessed in all that was said to be impossible. Here life was a full one full of Joy, sorrow, and hardship. She may have not been up front with her faith in God with Strangers or even my siblings

Yet she taught me about God and faith, because she lived by it to the best of her ability. I still have the necklace with the mustard seed stored away. I take it out when I miss her and think of her often. I just wish my brother and sister got to know that side of mom. Faith was something her and I shared together. I miss our talks about God, but I know each birthday I have draws me closer to her, where she waits most likely in a beautiful heavenly garden for my arrival.

I hope that maybe one day my brother will find faith and will be able to join her again, where we can all be free from the troubles of this world. Where we can enjoy each other completely and be in the presence of our God. I can’t wait for that day. In Jesus Christ we are all made new. If you haven’t trusted anyone in life, please trust in Jesus. In Jesus you find hope and strength not found by any worldly means. In faith you find peace, endurance, and promise of eternity in happiness shared by all who have gone before you.

This is my birthday wish. I wish that those who read this and haven’t received Christ as their savior. That they do so with all their hearts and mind so they may share in the hope and strength that God provides those who believe in Christ’s death and resurrection, and that in that our sins are erased and we are made new. So, that we may one day share in an eternal heaven. Where, sadness sickness and death are no more. I hope you do this not for me but for yourself.

Your life will be transformed and the lack of security you may find holding you in fear will be lifted from your life. You will find a fortress that can withstand anything that comes at you in life. You won’t know until you give yourself completely to the Lord. I hope you make that choice tonight.

No comments: